Reading 2

The petroleum we obtain today was formed under the ground for many millions of years. In the past, small animals living in the sea sank to the seabed when they died. Layers of these creatures built up over millions of years, and the actions of heat, pressure and bacteria turned their bodies into petroleum. The petroleum spread through porous rocks until it came to impervious rocks. In this way, pockets of petroleum were formed beneath the ground. Over many thousands of years, this land rose above the sea, and deposits of oil are now found on or near land.


        Oil companies employ scientists to study rocks and discover where oil is likely to be found. If it seems likely that oil exists beneath their feet, they will drill a narrow hole to find out whether there is any oil. They may be unsuccessful; if a new field is being explored, there is one chance in nine of discovering petroleum.


             1.   What is the text about?

a.             Deposits of oil.
b.            Pockets of petroleum.
c.             Impervious rocks.
d.            The petroleum.
                  e.        Oil companies.


             2.  The first paragraph is about ....

a.             how petroleum was formed
b.            small animals living in the sea-bed
c.             how long petroleum was formed
d.            what has happened beneath the ground
e.             the spread of petroleum

             3.  Which of the following statements is TRUE according to the text?


a.             Heat, pressure and bacteria play an important role in the formation of petroleum.
b.            Scientists always succeeded in finding a new oil field.
c.             Scientists are employed to form petroleum.
d.            Animals living in the sea-bed bring deposits of oil to the surface of water.
e.       Oil is usually found on the water surface.

         4. “… and deposits of oil are now found on or near land.” (Paragraph 1)  
                 The underlined word means ....
a.             appeared
b.            discovered
c.             come
d.            floated
e.        shown

         5.    “The petroleum spread through porous rocks until it came to impervious rocks.” 
                (Paragraph 1)
        The underlined word means “not allowing anything to ....”
a.             catch up
b.            suffer forum
c.             break into
d.            pass through
e.       look at

6.  David : I’m not well prepared for the test.
     Murni : Why? Are you ill?
              David: No, Andi borrowed my book and he has not returned it.
              Naya : What’s wrong with David?
              Nurni: He said he was not prepared for the test because Andi had borrowed his book
                                and he ... it.
                     a. had not returned
                     b. did not return
                     c. has not returned
                     d. should return
                     e. would have returned

7.
Naya
: I called you but there was no answer.

Olin
: Oh, sorry, I ... when the phone rang.

a.
am taking a bath

b.
have taken a bath

c.
was taking a bath

d.
should take a bath

e.
will be taking a bath

8.
Olin
: Mom, I am nominated in the singing contest.

Mama
: Great! I’m really proud of you.

The underlined expression is n
utterance of .... 


a.
will

b.
pride

c.
hope

d.
plan

e.
satisfaction

9.
Rina
: May I go to Pangandaran, Mom?

Mother
: Yes, but don’t forget to take care of yourself.

Rina
: Thanks, Mom.
From the dialogue above, we know that mother ... Rina to go to Pangandaran.
a.             allows
b.            orders

c.             forbids
d.            avoids
e.             stops

10.        Ahmad : Excuse me, ..., sir?

John : Oh, no thank you. I can handle it.
a.             what can I do for you
b.            can you do me a favour
c.             can I do something for you
d.            can you help me
e.             could you do something for me

11. Juan : I am sorry, I cannot join you to see the concert tonight. I have an English test

        tomorrow.
       Amra : Never mind. ... we can see it together another day.
 a. Gladly
 b. Hopefully
 c. Frankly
 d. Surely
 e. Doubtfully

12.
Ayu
: Where were you last night? I called you but no one answered.

Naya
: I’m sorry. I was visiting my grandma. She has been ill for almost a week and she


is hospitalized now.

Ayu
: .... I hope she gets better soon.

a.
I can’t visit her

b.
I’m sorry to hear that

c.
Thank you for telling the news

d.
It must be very serious

e.
That’s very kind of you

13.
Naya

: Would you like me to carry these books, sir?

Mr. John
:
Sure. Thank you very much.


a.             offering to do something

b.            asking to do something
c.             apologizing for someone’s mistake
d.            disagreeing with someone’s opinion
e.             greeting someone

14.        John : There will be a party at my house tonight. Would you like to come?

Jane  : I’d love to, but I have an appoinment with my colleague.
From the dialogue we know that the second speaker ... the invitation.
a.             gives

b.            declines
c.             takes
d.            loves
e.             enjoys

15.        John : How long does it take to fly from Jakarta to Medan? It is 9.30 a.m. now.

 Mary : About one and a half hours.
John : OK, I ... at the airport to fetch you by 11 a.m.
a.             arrive
b.            will arrived
c.             will have arrived
d.            should arrive
e.        have to arrive

16.    John
: Excuse me, is there a chance for me to have my saving book now?
Ali
: Oh, I’m sorry. You can’t have it now.





a.             impossibility

b.            uncertainty
c.             inability
d.            displeasure
e.             dissatisfaction

17.
Ani
: Dika is seriously injured in the car accident.

John
: Do you think she will take the exam next week?

Ani
: I’m afraid there is ... for her to take the exam next week.

a.
an idea

b.
a reason

c.
little chance

d.
an alternative

e.
a qualification

18.
Naya
: What do you think of your new red dress?

Olin
: .... It goes with my shoes.

Naya
: I think so. You look beautiful on it.

Olin
: Thank you.

a.
I am very satisfied with it

b.
I don’t think so

c.
Sorry to hear that

d.
I don’t like it

e.
It’s too difficult to do
19.
Juan
: Has someone repaired this machine?

John
: Well, it’s working again so it ....

a.
must have repaired

b.
should have repaired

c.
must have been repaired

d.
would have been repaired

e.
should have been repaired

20.
Father
: Your hair is long, son. And here is some money for you to cut it.

Son
: Thank you, Dad. And ... by tomorrow.

a.
I’m cutting my hair

b.
I would cut my hair

c.
I will cut your hair

d.
I’ll ask someone to cut your hair

e.
I will have my hair cut

21.
Naya
: Do you know why Peter arrived late for work yesterday?

Anra
: He must have missed the bus. If I had been him, I would have taken a taxi.

From the dialogue we know that ....

a.
Betty, Nancy and Peter came late for work

b.
Betty went to work by taxi

c.
Betty and Peter went to work together

d.
Peter went to work by taxi


e.
Peter did not take a taxi to his office

22. Ahmad: Do you know about the illegal import of sugar that  
                     happened recently?

      John : Yes, but not much. I think the police ... the importers and the  
                 official backed this illegal activity.
      Ahmad : I agree with you. But they always have reasons not to be  
                    arrested.
a.        caught
b.      have caught
c.        are catching
d.      would be caught
e.        should have caught

According to Javanese …(23), before the corpse is taken to the burial ground, his/her children and close …(24) walk ducking three times back and forth under the stretcher on which the dead person has been …(25) down.

23.                      a.   customs

b.            nation
c.             country
d.            ceremony
e.             language

24.                       a.   father

b.            mother
c.             brother
d.            sister
e.             relatives

25.                      a.   sat

b.            closed
c.             buried
d.            laid
e.             stepped

26.        Due to the forest fire the air in Jambi is so ... that we should wear a mask.

a.             foggy
b.            smoky
c.             fresh
d.            cloudy
e.             clean

27.        People have built the dams since the earliest time to ... water.

a.             arrange
b.            regulate
c.             manage
d.            store
e.             treat

28.        All insecticides should be considered poisonous and should be stored well, far from children.
The underlined word means ....
a.             located
b.            canned
c.             used
d.            kept
e.             put

29.        Smoke can cause damage to a child’s learning ability. The underlined word has similar meaning to ....
a.             destruction
b.            suffering
c.             harm
d.            injury
e.             loss

Comments

Popular Posts